For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, September 15, 2016

paper, paper and paper...






New paper, old paper, paper in progress. You've seen quite a bit of paper recently. That's because paper seems to be the answer for me at the moment, the answer to my indecision......my angst. I do have cloth in class and I think I will show you a little of what we are doing over there tomorrow, it's actually very exciting, (for me anyway) and is very different to the white and bling that's happening with the paper pieces.
The piece on the far left of the first image and the one which is dominant in most of these images was finished last night. The paper part of it was finished anyway....I have plans for a little piece of cloth to accompany that.

1 comment:

Jillayne said...

Absolutely gorgeous paper... I love to come here and look around - it feels quieter somehow...